Sunday, February 23, 2014

Sunday, February 23, 2014

What an amazing experience to be here.  As a "First-timer" as we are so lovingly called,  I had no idea what this trip would be like.  Sure, I had seen pictures and my brothers and sisters from Trinity provided lots of literature for me to study but none of that really gives you real perspective....... not like being here.  In comparison to poverty in Iowa, I could only compare it to those living under bridges or in tents or make-shift huts such as those along the Des Moines river.  The people of Zinc and Zacate are different still, more like my grandparents in the respect that they are poor rural farmers that work hard, have pride, and are grateful for what they have. 


We attended Mass this morning in Berlin with approximately 600 others.  I SO wish I knew Spanish!  Being from a congregation that considers music to be a very important part of worship, the music stood out to me.  I also took notice of how many children took part in the service.  I was told we were there about an hour and 20 minutes, but you couldn't prove it by me.

The market near the square was not one of my best experiences.  I was approached several times by beggars and it's so hard to turn away.  I'm also not accustomed to fish being sold on the street and in the heat.  The produce, on the other hand, was unbelievably great!

We finished the morning at Lookout Point with a beautiful view of the Berlin valley.  God is truly in this place!  Praise be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment